California Employment Retaliation Lawyers
California is an at-will employment state, which allows employers to fire employees at any time, with our without a reason. However, there are certain exceptions to this general rule. One of these exceptions is that companies cannot fire employees for engaging in certain protected conduct.
Protected Conduct in the Workplace includes:
- Making complaints about sexual harassment at work
- Reporting employee discrimination in the workplace
- Making complaints about unpaid wages, or other labor code violations
- Refusing to participate in illegal activity
- Taking time off of work to serve in the armed forces
- Attempting to take a medical leave
- Requesting a reasonable accommodation for a disability
An employee who has been fired in retaliation for engaged in any of the above protected activities may have a claim for wrongful termination in violation of public policy. Such lawsuits would generally include a demand for missed wages, emotional distress, as well as punitive damages.
Contact Our California Unlawful Retaliations Lawyer
If you believe you have been the victim of employment retaliation on the job, the Cunningham Law, APC offers a free consultation to discuss the facts of the case with you, explain the law, and often times represent you in an unlawful retaliation lawsuit against your former employer. Call us today at (858) 376-7390 to speak with a California unlawful retaliation lawyer about your case.